Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Saying Goodbye To Yesterday.

"It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday..." I heard a group of men sing on America's Got Talent last night. How true it is. This got me thinking about, how so many people, not excluding myself, hang onto our pasts. Our could've, would've, and should'ves that ring in our minds, holding us back from the present moments and opportunities of today. It reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Finish each day and be done with it...you have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well and serenely." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wander...how often does holding onto our past keep us from realizing the opportunities of the present and dreams of tomorrow? Do we let our past failures keep us from taking chances today, and forget that the day is anew, and anything can happen? Of course there is a time and a place to reflect and look to the past. But let us not live there.  The only way to truly say hello to today, and look to a brighter tomorrow, is to say goodbye to yesterday. Every hurt, every pain, every failure is behind you. Today is a new day.

"21This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.
22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. "
(Lamentations 3:21-23 King James Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment